- This event has passed.
Recycled Content Mandates: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly
January 6, 2022 @ 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
This webinar was co-sponsored by NEWMOA, Northeast Recycling Council (NERC), and West Coast Forum on Climate and Materials Management.
Recycled content mandates are growing in popularity as a policy mechanism to engage producers in responsibility for recycling markets, sharing in the costs of a functioning recycling system, and reducing climate change impacts. But not all recycled content mandates are the same, and some have the potential for unintended consequences.
This webinar took a closer look at:
- California’s experience with several, very different recycled content mandates
- Whether or how mandates might support, or conflict with, broader extended producer responsibility policies
- Potential economic and environmental limitations of recycled content mandates, and some possible solutions
- Mark Murray [PDF], Executive Director, Californians Against Waste
- Steve Alexander [PDF], President and CEO, Association of Plastics Recyclers
- David Allaway [PDF], Senior Policy Analyst, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality