- This event has passed.
An Introduction to PFAS: Frequently Asked Questions
September 21, 2016 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Dr. Jennifer Field, Oregon State University
Dr. Christopher Higgins, Colorado School of Mines
Dr. Rula Deeb and Dr. Jason Conder, Geosyntec
The presenters asked that the presentations not be posted. Their work was funded by ESTCP (Environmental Security Technology Certification Program): https://www.serdp-estcp.org/Program-Areas/Environmental-Restoration (look to the lefthand navigation).
PFOA and PFOS are perfluorooctanoic acid and perfluorooctane sulfonic acid, respectively and belong to the broader class of poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) that have been widely used for carpet and fabric protection, in food packaging ,and in metal plating, and have been included in products with familiar trade names Teflon, Gore-Tex, Stainmaster, and Scotchguard. In addition, PFAS were key components of aqueous film-forming foams (AFFF) widely used for firefighting.
This FAQs webinar provided a baseline understanding of PFAS and answered the following questions:
– What are per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs)?
– What are aqueous film forming foams (AFFF?)
– What industrial sectors manufacture materials with PFAS?
– Which environmental media should be sampled?
– How do PFASs transport in the environment?
– What is the fate of PFASs in the environment?
– What remedial tools are available or effective for PFASs?
– What are the human exposure pathways and health effects?
– What are the current regulatory issues?