- This event has passed.
Addressing the Confusing Landscape of Compostable Products
March 8, 2018 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
NEWMOA and NERC held a webinar discussion certifications for compostable bags and other compostable products. The presenters address the following questions:
- Is legislation the answer?
- What type of training resources would be beneficial for stakeholders – composters, haulers, food scrap generators, foodservice product providers – to effectively navigate the world of certified compostable products?
- Mark Williams, VP Market Development, BioBag provided an overview of California and Seattle legislation on compostable products; and the benefits and impacts of this legislation
- David M. Mrgich, Chief, Waste Diversion Division, Maryland Department of the Environment presented on Maryland legislation, which will go into effect October 2018, and requires products sold in the State and labeled as compostable to meet specific biodegradability standards
- Dan Goossen, General Manager, Green Mountain Compost talked about the “on-the-ground” issues with accepting compostable foodservice products and packaging; mitigating the issues; whether ordinances/legislation would help
- California law regarding “biodegradable” plastics claims
- Maryland approves biodegradable labeling law and composting study
- Seattle’s Food Service Packaging Requirements
- Fake Organics
- The Evolving Landscape of Composting in the Northeast
- Compostable Products and Postconsumer Food Scraps