- This event has passed.
Vermont Ag Plastics Management & Recycling Workshop
April 16, 2009 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Adam Wienert – Northeast Waste Management Officials’ Association
10:10 History of Agriculture Plastics Recycling in Vermont
- Natalie Starr – DSM Environmental Services
10:30 Markets Discussion
- Moderator, Carolyn Grodinsky, Waste Prevention Coordinator – Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
- Results of a marketing plan for a Vermont-based, plastic lumber manufacturer using agricultural film for feedstock – Anne MacMillan, Agency of Agriculture
- Current status of New England and national markets – Lois Levitan, Cornell University Recycling Ag Plastics Project (RAPP) Program Leader
11:30 Best Management Practices
- Guidelines for proper handling of agriculture and horticultural plastics to prepare for recycling
- Quality Control, Compaction, and Transportation: What infrastructure and equipment are needed, and why
12:15 Lunch – Lunch will be provided to those who registered by April 9th
1:00 Promoting Product Stewardship for Film Plastics
- Jen Holliday, VTPSC Coordinator & Environmental and Safety Compliance Manager – Chittenden Solid Waste District
- How can Vermont and the Vermont Product Stewardship Council (VPSC) encourage a greater manufacturer role?
- What is the role of framework legislation for agriculture films?
1:45 Market Development: Lessons Learned in NY – What Can We Do in VT?
- Lois Levitan
- Can we work with plastics manufacturers in the Northeast to promote use of agriculture plastics as feedstock?
- What are strategies for developing consumer markets for products made from used agriculture plastics?
- Increasing procurement of products made from recycled materials
- Endorsing and branding such products as “green” and “sustainable”
- Promoting recognition for farmers that recycle their agriculture plastics. What recognition programs could be used?
2:15 Updates from Workshop Participants – Roundtable
2:45 Next Steps