2005 Regional Environmental Summit:
Promoting Environmental Responsibility
Holiday Inn-Downtown, Providence, RI
September 28 - 29, 2005
EPA Region 1-New England
Northeast Waste Management Officials' Association (NEWMOA)
EPA and NEWMOA cosponsored the "2005 Northeast Environmental Summit: Promoting Environmental Responsibility" conference to facilitate information exchange about pollution prevention, compliance assistance, integrated assistance and enforcement strategies, and other environmental assistance activities in Northeast.
About the Summit
The Summit focused on the following areas of interest:
- Key environmental challenges
- Mechanics of implementing effective programs
- Tools and techniques of the trade
- Innovative programs, technologies, and techniques
- Success stories
- Measuring results and accomplishments
- Overcoming the challenges facing environmental assistance programs
The "2005 Regional Environmental Summit: Promoting Environmental Responsibility" draft agenda-at-a-glance
and detailed agenda
show the wide variety of topics that were presented.
The event was designed for officials from local, state, tribal, and federal government agencies, as well as university-based environmental programs with presenters from the private and public sectors. These participants were from:
- municipal agencies that assist local businesses and municipal government;
- state pollution prevention and technical assistance programs;
- state programs, such as the Small Business Assistance Programs or Small Business Development Centers, that focus on assisting small businesses with environmental compliance and beyond;
- state programs that are implementing environmental results programs and other innovative compliance strategies, including regulatory program staff;
- state programs that are implementing environmental leadership or excellence programs;
- university-based programs that assist businesses and other with pollution prevention, environmental management systems (EMS), or compliance requirements;
- Manufacturing Extension Partnership programs that assist small and medium-sized businesses with lean manufacturing, EMS, and greening their supply chain; and
- tribal environmental officials that assist businesses and tribal organizations with environmental compliance and beyond.
The Conference was planned by a Steering Committee of State and EPA representatives.